AIDA KASIEVA, Ph.D.
56, Prospect Mira
Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic
Office: 312 541 942 (13-18) · Fax 312 541 935
Cell phone: + (996) 552 00 42 54
- Associate Professor
Kyrgyz-Turkish “Manas” University · School of Foreign Languages
Translation Department from 2003 – present.
- Delivers lectures in English Lexicology, Translation Studies, Semiotics.
- Associate Professor of the International University in Kyrgyzstan since 2008. Delivers lectures in American Studies at The Institute of Foreign Languages: American Ethnography (Ethnology, Anthropology); American Literature; U.S. Economy; U.S. Social and Political Systems; American Political Thought.
The Course on American Ethnography surveys the major themes concerning intersections of race, ethnicity, gender, and class especially in terms of how these factors combine to shape one’s identity and experience of American society. We will draw on a number of examples that highlight the diversity and complexity of American society and the many perspectives that differentiate people and/or draw them together. The class will also cover issues related to power relations, poverty, education, popular culture as they apply to the US.
The course on American Literature is aimed to introduce students with the works of American women writers starting from colonial period including American women writers of Romantic, the Period of Realism, and Modernism. Apart from all this students are taught how to make literary analysis of the texts.
- Delivers lectures in Theory of Translation at the Department of English Language and Literature.
The course is aimed at providing theoretical knowledge in translation study in close connection with the science of semiotics as translation itself considers all three branches of semiotics, that are necessary for conducting lexical and semantic analyses.
- Advisor and supervisor of a number of graduate theses and Final Projects.
1”.Stylistic Devices in the poem of “Kutadgu Bilig” by Yusuf Balasaguni and the adequacy of their translation into English” (2008).
2.”The problems of translating national ethnolinguistic realias in non-cognate languages” (on the material of the Kyrgyz epic “Manas” and its English translation made by W. May). (2009)
3.” Metaphors in the poem of “Kutadgu Bilig” by Yusuf Balasaguni and the adequacy of their translation into English”(2009)
- Idioms and their peculiarities in English and Turkish languages.
- Borrowings in Kyrgyz Language that came from English.
- Editor of the Journal of Social Science” at Kyrgyz-Turkish “Manas” university.
Responsible for English part.
- Visitinig lecturer at Suleyman Demirel University. Master’s program. Almaty, Kazakhstan, 2012
- Chair of the State Comission Board at the Institute of World Languages, I. Arabayev State University. (2008-2010)
- Chair of the State Comission Board at the Institute of Official State language, I. Arabayev State University. (2008-2010)
- Chair of the State Comission Board at the Translation Department, Kyrgyz National University named after Yusuf Balasaguni. (2011)
- Chair of the State Comission Board at the Translation Department, International Ataturk –Alatoo University. (2012)
- Chair of the State Comission Board at the Department of Computational Linguistics at Kyrgyz State University of Construction and Architecture. (2012)
- Senior Lecturer and a teacher of English. Department of International Relations, Kyrgyz National University named after Yusuf Balasaguni. 1994-2003
- Foreign Languages Department, Kyrgyz National University named after Yusuf Balasaguni. 1994-2003
- Teacher of English, Teacher of Russian languages and Literature
Secondary School #2, Naryn, Kyrgyzstan
- D. Kyrgyz National Academy of Sciences, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. Thesis title: “Lexical and Semantic Analyses of Metaphors in the “Kutadgu Bilig” (Beneficent Knowledge) by Yusuf Balasaguni and the Adequacy of their Translation into English” (Based on English translation made by W. May.) (1998-2005)
- Diploma of Ph.D. June, 2006
- Specialised in: American Studies (Ethnography, Literature, Gender Issues, American Women’s Literature, History etc.).
- Teaching English (Lexicology, Grammar)
- Translation Studies (Translation Theory, Practices of Oral and Written Translation, Translation Strategies)
- Semiotics (Semantics, Syntactic, Pragmatics)
- History of Languages
- General Linguistics
- Old Turkic Language
- Post Graduate Certificate in Linguistics, Kyrgyz National University, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, 1998-2002
- Kyrgyz Women Pedagogical Institute 1986- 1991, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Qualifications: Teacher of English and English Literature
Teacher of Russian and Russian Literature
- American Studies in Kyrgyzstan: Certificate of Appreciation for presenting at the 9th Annual American Studies Symposium in Kyrgyzstan. May 18-19, 2012.
- Suleyman Demirel University: Certificate of Appreciation for presenting at the IV International conference “Building Cultural Bridges: Intergrating Languages, Linguistics, Literature, Translation into Education”, Kazakhstan, April 27-28, 2012.
- Kyrgyz-Turkish Manas University: Certificate of Honour. June,2011.Bishkek.
- American Studies Association of KG: For participation in a three-day workshop dedicated to the development of American Studies in Kyrgyzstan. June 8-10,2010. Cholpon-Ata
- American Studies in Kyrgyzstan: Certificate of Appreciation for presenting at the 7th Annual American Studies Symposium in Kyrgyzstan. May 28-29, 2010
- Kyrgyz-Turkish Manas University: For participation in the 2nd International Conference “Translation and the Future of Translation.” April 16, 2010. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
- Kyrgyz-Turkish Manas University: In recognition of completing master-class training program on translation by Prof. Chuzhakin A.P. (MSLU, Moscow, Russia) from April 14-15, 2010 on the basis of Simultaneous Translation Dept., at KTU “Manas.”
- Istanbul University and Council for Turkic Languages: For participation and presentation at the “Conference dedicated to the 990 Birth of Yusuf Balasaguni and his poem “Kutadgu Bilig.” October 26-27, 2009. Istanbul, Turkey
- Council for Turkic Languages: VI. International Kurultay of Turkic Languages. October 20-25, 2008. Ankara, Turkey
- Kyrgyz-Turkish Manas University: For participation in the Conference “Translation Speciality in Kyrgyzstan and its Future.” April 24-25, 2008. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
- American Studies in Kyrgyzstan: Challenges and Perspectives. Certificate for presentation in the 5th Annual American Studies Symposium in Kyrgyzstan. April- 18-19, 2008
- Turkish Embassy in Bishkek, Center for Teaching Turkish Language: Certificate in recognition of completing A Courses (Advanced Turkish) with the points of 84. January 12, 2008
- International Congress of Asian and North African studies ICANAS 38. For paper presentation and contribution to the ICANAS 38. September,10-15, 2007. Ankara, Turkey
- I. Arabayev Kyrgyz State University. For presentation at national conference “Faculty Development, Curriculum Content and Syllabus Design.” June, 10-11,2005, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
- International Ataturk Alatoo University: Conference title: “Present-day Problems of Learning Foreign languages As a Means of Intercultural Communication and Tolerance: Theory and Practice.” March, 10, 2005. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
- London School of English. TACIS Courses: “English for Specific Purposes.” Kyrgyz State University. In recognition of completing two-year English Teachers Training Program. November, 1995 – November, 1997.
- American Ethnography (Ethnology).
- American Political Thought.
- American Literature.
- U.S. Economy.
- Social and Political System of the U.S.
- Semiotics in Communication and Media
- Theory of Translation
AREAS OF RESEARCH INTEREST
- American studies (Literature, American Ethnography, etc.).
- Theory of Literature
- Semiotics (Semantics, Syntactics, Pragmatics).
- Translation Studies.
PUBLICATIONS AND CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS: (about 30)
American Cultural Symbols as Representation of American Cultural Identity and its Impact on Kyrgyz Culture. American Studies in Kyrgyzstan: Certificate of Appreciation for presenting at the 9th Annual American Studies Symposium in Kyrgyzstan. May 18-19, 2012.
The Topicality of Teaching Semiotics in Communication and Linguistics in the Universities of the Kyrgyz Republic. Kyrgyz National University December, 2010. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
Women’s Rights in America and in Central Asian Region. // American Studies in Kyrgyzstan: 7th Annual American Studies Symposium in Kyrgyzstan. May 28-29, 2010, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Lexic and Semantic analyses of metaphors with the word “Baş”- “head” in “Kutadgu Bilig” and the and the ways of their translation into Turkish and English.// Istanbul University and Council for Turkic Languages: International conference dedicated to 990 birth of Yusuf Hass Hajib and his poem “Kutadgu Bilig” October, 26-27 2009, Istanbul, Turkey
Some issues concerning metaphors in “Kutadgu Bilig” by Yusuf has Hajib and the adequacy of their translation into English (Based on English translation made by Walter Mey)// Council for Turkic Languages: VI. International Kurultay of Turkic Languages Studies. October 20-25, 2008. Ankara, Turkey
American Women’s Literature// American Studies in Kyrgyzstan: Challenges and Perspectives. 5th Annual American Studies Symposium at the State University named after I. Arabaeva. April- 18-19, 2008. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, pp. 76-79
Stylistic Devices in the “Kutadgu Bilig” (Beneficent knowledge) by Yusuf Has Hajib and the Adequacy of their Translation into English (based on English version made by W. May)// Ataturk Supreme Council for Culture, Language and History // ICANAS 38 (International Congress of Asian and North African Studies), September,10-15, 2007. Ankara, Turkey
Anthropomorphous Metaphor in “Kutadgu Bilig” and Peculiarities of its translation into English” // Kyrgyz-Turkish Manas University. Journal of Social Sciences #15, (pp.139-153),Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Fun Activities in Teaching English as a Foreign Language.// Kyrgyz State Pedagogical University by I. Arabaev Conference: “Faculty Development, Curriculum Content and Syllabus design.” June, 10-11 2005, pp. 97-99. Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Metaphors with the Word “at”- “horse” in the poem “Kutadgu Bilig” (Beneficent knowledge by Yusuf Balasaguni and the Adequacy of their Translation into English// Journal of Kazakh State National University named after al-Farabi. #9 (81) IB# 2834. 2004, pp.60-65. Almaty, Kazakhstan
- English in seven months (in Kyrgyz) – Executive Editor. 2006.-135p.
- A thematic phrase book. (Kyrgyz-English) – Author.
- English language (Grammar rules and exercises) (in Kyrgyz and English languages).
- Lexical and semantic analyses of metaphors in the “Kutadgu Bilig” by Yusuf Balasaguni and adequacy of their translation into English.
Kyrgyz – native; Russian- fluent; English – fluent; Turkish – fluent.